Straight from the Heart
Academy Award™ nominated short film Straight from the Heart explores parents' journeys to a new understanding of their lesbian and gay children.
More about this Film:
Straight from the Heart presents simple stories about real people: a police chief who talks about how proud he is of his lesbian daughter, a Mormon couple whose son is believed to be the first gay man in Idaho to have died from AIDS, and a black woman and her two lesbian daughters who had been accused of "catching" their lesbianism from white people.
This film shows that prejudice against gays and lesbians is a form of bigotry inseparable from other manifestations of prejudice, particularly racism. Interviewees include PFLAG's Mitzi Henderson; Edmond L. Browning, Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church; Police Chief Tom Potter; and Michael Bussee, Founder of Exodus International.
This film is part of the Unlearning Homophobia series.
Format: VHS/DVD - purchase this film
Running Time: 27 minutes
- 1995 Academy Award Nomination, Documentary Short Subject
- First Pro-Gay/Lesbian Film Screened for the U.S. Congress
- Finalist, 1995 National Short Film Festival
- Screening Honoree, 1994 Denver International Film Festival
- Screening Honoree, 1995 Hot Springs Documentary Festival
- Screening Honoree, 1995–1996 UCLA 14th Annual Contemporary Documentary Series
A Woman Vision Production
- Producer / Director: Dr. Dee Mosbacher and Frances Reid
- Editor: Deborah Hoffman
- Cinematographer: Frances Reid
- Narrator: Dr. Robert McAfee Brown
Straight from the Heart: A Discussion Guide written by Jennifer M. Finlay and Linda Alband; supplemental materials Sylvia Rhue, Ph.D
After watching and discussing Straight from the Heart, the audience should have a deeper understanding of the following issues:
- the existence and visibility of gay and lesbian people
- understandings of terms like "gay," "lesbian," "homosexual," heterosexual," and "straight"
- the suffering associated with name-calling, rejection, and all prejudicial treatment
- the stigma associated with having a gay or lesbian child or being labeled gay or lesbian
- the inter-relatedness of all forms of discrimination and bigotry
- Why Are People Gay or Lesbian?
- How Are Homosexuals Different from Heterosexuals?
- A Brief History of the Struggle for Gay Rights
- Why Are Gay Rights Necessary?
- Attacks on Gay Rights
- HIV/AIDS Prevention and Self-Esteem